DogMan
  • DogMan
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • Newbie Topic Starter
5 months ago
I want to move the last eight characters (the postcode) to the nest column, how can I do this?
Recycling Computers  is my hobby so if you have any old PCs or Macs..
Sponsor

Want to thank us? Use: Patreon or PayPal or Bitcoins: bc1q4whppe29dw77rm4kv4pln0gqae4yjnxly0dny0hky6yhnafukzjsyrsqhk

All opinions expressed within these pages are sent in by members of the public or by our staff in their spare time, and as such do not represent any opinion held by sircles.net Ltd or their partners.

sirclesadmin
5 months ago
To move the last eight characters of one cell to the next cell in Excel, you can use a combination of Excel functions. Here's a step-by-step guide:

Extract the Last Eight Characters:
Use the RIGHT function to extract the last eight characters from a cell.
If your data is in cell A1, you would use =RIGHT(A1, 😎 in the cell where you want these characters to appear (say B1).
Remove the Last Eight Characters from the Original Cell:

To remove the last eight characters from the original cell, you can use the LEFT and LEN functions.
In a new cell (or if you want to overwrite the original cell, ensure you've copied the data first), use =LEFT(A1, LEN(A1) - 😎. This formula takes the length of the string in A1, subtracts 8, and then keeps everything to the left of that new length.
Drag the Formulas Down:

If you have a list of cells where you need to perform this operation, you can drag the formulas down. The cell references will adjust automatically.
Copy and Paste as Values (Optional):

If you need the results to be static (not formulas), you can copy the cells with the formulas and paste them as values.
Here's an example:

Original value in A1: HelloWorld
In B1, enter =RIGHT(A1, 😎. B1 will display elloWorld.
In C1 (or A1 if you want to overwrite), enter =LEFT(A1, LEN(A1) - 😎. C1 will display He.
Remember, if you overwrite the original data in A1 with the formula, you'll lose the original data. It's often a good practice to work on a copy of your data to prevent accidental data loss.