drdread
  • drdread
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
a year ago
How do I stop this stupid bl@@Dy computer from failing updates in the middle of every bl@@dy download?
Sponsor

Want to thank us? Use: Patreon or PayPal or Bitcoins: bc1q4whppe29dw77rm4kv4pln0gqae4yjnxly0dny0hky6yhnafukzjsyrsqhk

All opinions expressed within these pages are sent in by members of the public or by our staff in their spare time, and as such do not represent any opinion held by sircles.net Ltd or their partners.

drdread
  • drdread
  • 100% (Exalted)
a year ago
No, disabling the service doesn't work FFS
drdread
  • drdread
  • 100% (Exalted)
a year ago
So what I have done after this stupid thing driving me crazy for weeks, is to disable the Windows Update remediation service - in other words the service designesd to stop you stopping updates.

services.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.

To do this I had to change the permissions in the registry.

i am not advocating this, just explaining what I have done.

Firstly I went into the registry and changed the permission on WAASMedicSvc under HKEY Local Machine > system > CurrentControlSet\Services\WaaSMedicSvc

So I opened regedit.exe:

regedit.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.

Then I right clicked the key (the folder) and choose permissions, and then clicked advanced to get into the next screen.

permission.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.

Here I remove inheritance and forced admin to have permission over the key and subkeys

this allowed me to change the valuse of the Start string to 4 for disabled

Now I am hoping that this stupid computer will not try any more updates and interrupt my downloads.

drdread
  • drdread
  • 100% (Exalted)
a year ago
It didn't work. It has returned to the previous state!
sirclesadmin
a year ago
We actually delete the Windows Update remediation service in the registry and then restart the PC and then disable Windows update which appears to work as the WaaSMedicSvc is what MS appear to have retro-added in order to restart Windows 10 whenever they feel like it. 
herbet
a year ago
I deleted both update services on my PC to resolve this. The Windows Update service will still restart the PC even without the remediation service. The best option for machines that need to stay on for downloading is to use server standard version instead.