Lemonde
  • Lemonde
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
5 years ago
Hi,

I am replacing a server with new hardware and want to keep the same software as the users do not require anything more.

The software is Windows 2011 Small Business Server

The hardware is an ML110 Gen9

My question is, should I use intelligent provisioning and install the server afresh up until configuration and then restore the data and system state from there, or should I just use the boot disk and restore the system from boot-up and fix the drivers later?

What would anyone suggest?

I want the install to not change any of the settings or features as the staff are quite happy as they are but just need the hardware remaining reliable.

Thanks 🙂
Sponsor

Want to thank us? Use: Patreon or PayPal or Bitcoins: bc1q4whppe29dw77rm4kv4pln0gqae4yjnxly0dny0hky6yhnafukzjsyrsqhk

All opinions expressed within these pages are sent in by members of the public or by our staff in their spare time, and as such do not represent any opinion held by sircles.net Ltd or their partners.

Lemonde
  • Lemonde
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
5 years ago
Everyone is mentioning virtualisation, but why? Doesn't anyone know how to restore Windows Server anymore? Can I not just load the OS with Intelligent Provisioning and restore the System State, Windows DIR and Program Dirs and then have the system back as it was? Surely as long as I do not overwrite the EFI and boot sectors from the new install all will be well?