Lemonde
  • Lemonde
  • 100% (Exalted)
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
5 years ago
So I found this on Google's help pages after looking into why so many people seem to think my email address is actually theirs.:

Dots don't matter in Gmail addresses
If someone accidentally adds dots to your address when emailing you, you'll still get that email. For example, if your email is [email protected], you own all dotted versions of your address:

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
Note: If you use Gmail through work, school, or other organization (like yourdomain.com or yourschool.edu), dots do change your address.

But what I can't understand is how they keep doing it.

There are a couple of people in Australia who obviously are convinced their email address is actually **[email protected]

Then there are a few in America who sign up for every local site in Florida, Wisconsin and Oklahoma as me regarding cake baking, gardening, car maintenance and other happy, healthy pursuits.

And then there are the group emails with pictures of everyone's holiday or graduation that I get copied into when I don't know any of them - I email them back explaining and I think what happens is they contact whoever it is and they say "Oh, it's not **[email protected], it's actually *.*[email protected]' and so it just comes back to me again.

The latest onem, just last week is that I get airline bookings all the time - some person travelling London-Istanbul regularly has registered with my email and so I just keep getting their booking receipts.

If your name is Shane Cooper, Susan Cooper, Sarah Cooper, Steve Cooper or Samantha Cooper I urge you to just check your Google email address and make sure it actually is what you think it is as I cannot keep replying to your family groups saying "Sorry, but I'm not Susan" for ever.
Sponsor

Want to thank us? Use: Patreon or PayPal or Bitcoins: bc1q4whppe29dw77rm4kv4pln0gqae4yjnxly0dny0hky6yhnafukzjsyrsqhk

All opinions expressed within these pages are sent in by members of the public or by our staff in their spare time, and as such do not represent any opinion held by sircles.net Ltd or their partners.